Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My Many Colored Days

My daughter brought home a Dr. Seuss book from her school library.  I thought I had read every Dr. Seuss book that there was to read.  Fun ones and inspirational ones like Oh, The Places You'll Go.  I had never read or heard of My Many Colored Days. 

The text of the book was simple and yet so honest to the true feelings that we all have, both children and adults.  It opened up a new avenue to an easier way for her to describe her feelings.  "What color are you today?" I now ask. It helped her to pick out an outfit in the morning and sift through her feelings before she went to sleep. 

My Many Colored Days is wonderful for children, but I took advantage of it's beauty as well, as I often do with children's books.  I could more easily pinpoint my moods while standing in the eye of the hurricane of motherhood, and life for that matter. After reading this book I was kinder to myself for having so many emotions.  I have been called moody more times than I can count.  But, if I share the same feelings as Dr. Seuss, then I am not doing half bad, in fact I am proud to say that I too, have many colored days.



No comments:

Post a Comment